Welcome to Dibrugarh Municipal Board
Dibrugarh Municipality was established in 1873. Before that, Dibrugarh city had been under numerous rulers. Beginning with the Chutias in the 12th Century, it was conquered by the Ahoms in about 1233 A.D. During the insurrection of Moamoria, Dibrugarh came under the Matak rule, before it finally came under the British in the 19th century.
The city since then has become the nerve center of all political, administrative, cultural and commercial activities of the Upper Assam region.Dibrugarh is located along 27' 28' N latitude and 94' 35' E longitude. The British established Dibrugarh town with the construction of a large fort on the banks of the Dibru River, which was later, eroded away in a massive flood- a common phenomenon in Assam. This fort acted as a trading site for traders coming by boats, thus leading to the establishment of a market known as the Purana bazaar. After its erosion by the mighty river, the new market was established in 1907. The British established a railway line in 1882. The population of the town has increased 11,227 in 1901 to 1, 37,879 in 2001. With further development of the trade and commerce in the city along with the transport and communication system, this town emerged as an important commercial center in the Upper Assam region. At present, Dibrugarh is well connected with other parts of the country through a broad gauge railway line as well as by air. The airport is located at Mohunbari, 12kms from the town. The present Dibrugarh Municipal Board has a jurisdiction over 15.40 sq. Km of area, which is divided into 22 wards.